Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
Mae West once said “The more I know about men, the more I like dogs…”
This is an incorrect view of what it means to be a man, a biblical man.
Being a man of God is not about chest hair and testosterone. I’m a big fan of old westerns, but being tough like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood isn’t the definition of a man… it means more than that.
Genesis 1:27 tells us that part of our creation, the way in which we reflect the image of God, has to do with our gender. No, we cannot change our gender, and yes, men and women are different, we are made different for a purpose.
Men, be men… ACT LIKE A MAN!
Hugh Latimer, as he was being burned alive by “Bloody Mary” for his Christian faith, said to his fellow martyr as they were sharing their final moments, said:
“Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and PLAY THE MAN! We shall this day light such a candle, by God’s grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.”
We need to be men… but we Believers need to know what that means. Here are the five things and a whole lot of scriptures.
- STEP UP
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself-Leo Tolstoy
- SPEAK OUT
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing-John F. Kennedy, thinking he was quoting Edmund Burke, but actually quoting Charles F. Aked (still, a good quote)First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.-Martin Niemöller
- STAND STRONG
The drop of rain maketh a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling.-Hugh Latimer to King Edward VI
- STAY HUMBLE
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?-Micah 6:8
- SERVE THE KING
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
You should take the time to look through the scriptures associated with each of these Five Ss.
1. STEP UP: Lead. Initiate. Be a man of action. Assume it is your job and your moment. Hate apathy. Reject passivity. No one is here to help you, it’s all on you… do something! 2 Samuel 10:7,12; Ezekiel 22:30; Psalm 101; Proverbs 14:23; Proverbs 20:6; Jeremiah 5:1; Ezekiel 22:23-31; John 10:11-13; James 1:23-25
2. SPEAK OUT: Silence in the midst of sin is a sin. Be courageous. Fear God not man. Speak the truth in love. Speak the truth, not to gain followers, but because of the gospel. Proverbs 27:5-6; Proverbs 31:8-9;1 Peter 3:15; Proverbs 14:25; Proverbs 15:1-2; Proverbs 24:11-12; Isaiah 8:11-13; Jeremiah 1:17; Romans 1:16
3. STAND STRONG: Don’t give in just because you are challenged, attacked or criticized; only give in if you are wrong. Be a rock, not a wrecking ball. Jeremiah 1:18-19; 1Corinthians 15:58; 1 Peter 5:8-9; 2 Chron. 16:9; Prov. 24:10; Isaiah 41:10; Jeremiah 12:5; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Galatians 1:10; Philippians 1:27-28
4. STAY HUMBLE: Be vigilant against pride. Get the log out of your eye. Don’t think less of yourself, think of yourself less. You are not the judge of right and wrong, God is. Stand under the Scripture, you can’t choose which things are bad and which are okay to ignore. Psalm 141:5; 1 Peter 5:5-7; Proverbs 3:5-6; Proverbs 12:1; Isaiah 66:2; Micah 6:8; John 15:5; Philippians 2:3-5
5. SERVE THE KING: Seek first His Kingdom, His glory, His righteousness. Hope in the eternal. Live for a greater reward. You are not your own master, BE LIKE JESUS! Matthew 6:33; Mark 10:45; Joshua 24:14-15; Psalm 16:11; Psalm 84:10-12; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 6:10; 1 Peter 2:21-23
*Most of this content and the 5-Ss come from a sermon preached by Todd Wagner of Watermark Community Church