Here are some basic ideas you probably know are a good idea. Why not commit to do these starting Friday (2016).
- Go through a Bible reading plan (like this one) to hold your feet to the fire
- Pray every day (with your family if you are married)
- Memorize at least one verse of scripture per week (use this) read it 10x, write it 10x, say it 10x and you’ve got it…
- Make the decision to try to “walk worthy”(Eph 4, Col 1), that is to say, to be good. Really try, every day.
- Take care of yourself. Exercise, don’t eat that entire plate of food at the restaurant. You don’t have to become a health nut, just eat an actual human portion of reasonable food at normal times, and try to do something active for at least 30 min. 3x a week, it will change your life.
- Say something about God to someone else every day.
- Pay attention, really actively look, for opportunities to tell someone about the gospel at least once a week.
- Find one person you can invest in at your church and meet with them at least monthly to discuss how to live as a Christian.
- Give regularly, consistently, and faithfully, from your “increase” (your regular pay) at least 10% through your local church.
- Think about someone whom you are not sure where or if they attend church regularly. At some point ask “would you come to my church some time?”, if they indicate that they would, every week ask them “do you think you can make it this week, I’ll save you a seat…” until they come or ask you to quit asking. Then, as you invite them back, think of a new someone and start over.
BONUS: Encourage someone who ministers to you with God’s Word, and you find a way to minister to others with the Bible.
“Let the knowledgable who lead well be considered worthy of twice as much recognition, especially those who work at preaching and teaching.” 1Tim 5:17