Have you heard about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there was a dog?
I love that joke.
(Richard Dawkins was baptized as a baby… so much for paedobaptism)
But seriously, if you listen to the “new atheists” they want you to believe that atheism is on the march and their ranks are swelling!
While it’s true, at least with respect to America, there are more Atheists now, their numbers are not a large part of the whole. Here are 5 facts about Atheists from the Pew Research Center…
1. As of 2012, 2.4% of American adults say they are atheists (it was 1.6% in 2007)
2. Atheists are usually male and younger; 67% men, 38% 18-29 years old. Less than half of atheists (43%) have a college degree
3. An Atheist is “a person who believes that God does not exist,” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. However, 14% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in a god or a universal spirit. (I don’t understand that)
4. More than 1/4 of atheists (26%) say they think of themselves as spiritual, and 3% consider themselves religious.
5. Atheism is incorrect, though many atheists are right about a lot of things (okay, that last one)
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
Many may say it with their mouth, or even their intellect, but I would guess very few can say in their heart that God does not exist. I think they are just reacting to much of what I hate about those on “my team” as well. Look, I disavow about 99% of Theists too, they’re mostly crazy, but that doesn’t make God wrong.
I don’t believe in the “god of the gaps” and I don’t reject science. God and Darwin are not fighting over turf, you need not reduce your mind in order to receive Jesus, quite the opposite. A proper understanding of God leads to a passion to explore His creation.
Anyway, that’s my two cents.