What should we be doing?
16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Our lives are meant for purpose, we have a job to do. So why don’t we do it? In the great commission, we are told what to do. So we need to get out there, every one of us, every day, and get busy doing it!
- Judas wasn’t there, this is a commission for the faithful
- They were in a special place, you need to go “to the mountain” to reconnect often (weekly with your church)
- We need to worship Jesus, even when you doubt. Doubting doesn’t disqualify discipleship, we all struggle with doubt from time to time.
- There is no power outside of Jesus’, He has ALL authority
- Why can we go? Because Jesus sends us in His power, all power, all authority, all ability… we win… now get going!
- Our job is to make disciples. People who follow Jesus, people who become a part of the body of Christ, people who join the church in her mission to make disciples.
- We baptize them, we put them down under water and we do it in the name and authority of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We don’t stop there, we teach them. Not just information (what Jesus taught), but we teach them HOW to DO what Jesus taught. And what is Jesus’ command? To love… neighbor… and God. And if we really love people, we will lead them to be disciples.
- He doesn’t leave us alone. We have the Holy Spirit to give us the ability to do this… we win, we can do it, now do it!